Re: [tlug] Re: [WAY-OT][CoLoCo] RESPECT MICROSOFT

Stuart Luppescu writes:

 > Actually, the economics probably works in reverse. The longer people
 > live, the more they cost society in terms of necessary care, pensions,
 > social security (in the US), etc. I've always thought that from a
 > strictly economic perspective it would be best for people to die
 > suddenly immediately after they retire.

Sure, but when do they retire?  *Real* economists remember that even
in the U.S. only about 50% (maybe less) of economic activity is
recorded in GDP.  "Retired" people do a lot of housework, baby
sitting, volunteer work, psychological counseling, etc.  It's sad we
take so little advantage of the immense skill and talent pool of those
who are no longer able/willing to work 40 hours + overtime.

You should also remember that in the U.S., the vast majority of
pension expenditure is funded out of invested capital; social security
is relatively small.  It's not obvious what the economic impact on
investment would be if people didn't have to save for their
retirements in some form.