Re: [tlug] unicode font with czech and japanese characters

On 14/08/07, Michal Hajek <hajek1@example.com> wrote:

> riht now installing gnome-terminal package (475kB) brings miriads of new
> packages in total size 398MB on my system.

Yuck. I just love binary-based distributions...

Here are the Gentoo dependencies:

RDEPEND="virtual/xft
        >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.10
        >=gnome-base/gconf-2.14
        >=x11-libs/startup-notification-0.8
        >=x11-libs/vte-0.15.3
        >=gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.4
        >=gnome-base/libglade-2
        >=gnome-base/libgnomeui-2"
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
        !gnome-base/gnome-core
        sys-devel/gettext
        >=dev-util/intltool-0.35
        >=dev-util/pkgconfig-0.9
        >=app-text/gnome-doc-utils-0.3.2
        >=app-text/scrollkeeper-0.3.11"

This is still too much, but at least it is not all of GNOME.

> So if possible, I would like to avoid that.

Yeah, I don't blame you. I did not realise gnome-term was such a dep
hog in Debian.

> Ok, I will keep Sakura in my memory. I wanted to give it a try, but
> there is no debian package for sakura.

Yeah, I see that. Maybe you should make one. :)

I am actually working on a Gentoo ebuild for it, as I would love to
switch to Sakura and have an even lighter-weight term.

> tweaking uxterm first. Or maybe it would be enough if I simply
> understand what Steve Turnbull and Travis wrote. :)

That is probably worth doing just for the sake of learning more about i18n.

--
Cheers,
Josh