Re: [tlug] Understanding TLUG

Dave M G さんは書きました:
Josh,
http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

That is a fascinating read, thank you for linking to it.

+1
I'm actually moderating some online groups, and also working on a CMS system that will allow for forum and mailing list creation, so a lot of what was written there was a good opportunity to think through some ideas I've been having.

The anonmity and smurfing make the groups and kill the group themself if not well moderated.
This phrase jumped out at me:

"Second, you have to design a way for there to be members in good standing. Have to design some way in which good works get recognized. The minimal way is, posts appear with identity. You can do more sophisticated things like having formal karma or "member since."

It makes me think of the forum for VMWare:
http://www.vmware.com/community/index.jspa

The largest forum with rating function enabled I've seen is
http://www.experts-exchange.com/ [EE]
They have a good way to encourage users from posting/answering question. Anh then make money from them!
They have a system where you can mark a posting of yours as a question. Then, as people reply, you can mark responses as either "helpful" or having answered your question. Marking posts this way earns points for people who posted helpful responses.
EE can do the same thing. When one create a ( free ) account, they have points. Each time he ask a question, he can price that some point. When he got enough answers, he can close his quesiton ask "solved" and devide points to people who has answered. That's how the rating system works.

Doing that way, one does not have to start with " My name is Joe, I've been in the market for ten years so believe me".

What's fascinating about it is that, last time I checked, the points don't earn anything, there are no prizes. People just gain status as being helpful or not. And it is one of the most polite and technically helpful lists I've ever been on. It seems that being perceived as the most helpful is motivation enough for people to avoid a lot of flaming and off topic postings.

[EE] let people pay for points. Though the motivation why people trying to answer questions is not the money. They want to be "known".

The nice things that a forum can do are close or split a thread when need. Technically, they alse can be done for any ML but not that effective.

I don't think TLUG needs anything of that nature. I'm just mentioning it because I'm on a coffee break and I'm totally fascinated by topics of groups and online communities.

offline meetings, nomikais and helpful people make Tlug long live :D