Re: [tlug] unicode font with czech and japanese characters

Michal Hajek writes:

 > * Stephen J. Turnbull (stephen@example.com) [070814 11:34]:
 > >> XTerm*font:  -*-fixed-medium-*-*-*-20-200-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
 > > XTerm*faceName: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-16
 >
 > I am afraid I am missing something here.
 > My experience with all this font busines is reduced to running xfontsel

Use fc-list instead to get a list of scalable anti-aliased fonts.

 > Eg. I do not even see all the characters. First I select
 > rgstry -> iso10646 since I know I am using utf-8 terminal.

The problem is that registry means nothing about repertoire; you can
use registry = iso10646 for ASCII.

 > :) I am not now. But I do not object to become one in the future.

Maybe if you're willing to spend five years on it. ;-)

 > >> Or, how do I find a font on my system which includes czech and japanese
 > >> characters?
 >
 > > find ~ /usr/share/fonts -name '*fonts.cache-1' | xargs grep 'cs,.*ja\|ja,.*cs'

Sorry, the syntax was bad, and you're probably better off using
fc-list anyway:

           fc-list | grep 'cs|.*ja\|ja|.*cs' | cut -b 1-72

 > yes. But than? I am able to find what files comes with what package. But
 > what I am supposed to do with this knowledge? Eg. how do I find which
 > names (of the type Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-16) comes eg. with the package
 > xfonts-shinonome or with filename like
 > /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/shnmk16min.pcf.gz ?

You install them and look at them.  In general, though, it looks like
most of the Japanese fonts I have claim to handle Czech.

If you look at the output of fc-list, on each line you'll see a long
list of ISO 639 language abbreviations separated by vertical bars.
The ones you're most interested in are "ja" and "cs".  You'll also see
line noise (also known as "Perl code") which is actually a uuencoded
bitmap of the characters that the font can display.