Re: [tlug] unicode font with czech and japanese characters

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 16:21:54 Michal Hajek wrote:
> How do I veryfy which characters are in which font?

See if you have the Gnome Character Map utility installed on your system.  It
is useful for browsing the characters in specific fonts:
http://live.gnome.org/Gucharmap
(gucharmap in Debian/Ubuntu, gnome-extra/gucharmap in Gentoo)

> Or, how do I find a font on my system which includes czech and japanese
> characters?

If you cannot find a Unicode font with that has Central European characters as
well as CJK characters, you can use font substitution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_substitution

If you do not care about using non-open fonts, an easy fix would be to
download the Microsoft True Type Core Fonts and use Arial.
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
(msttcorefonts in Debian/Ubuntu, media-fonts/corefonts in Gentoo)

Cheers,

Travis