Re: [tlug] [IME] :P Which IME does everyone use?

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 07:53:32AM -1000, Bart Mathias wrote:

burlingk@example.com wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: tlug-bounces@example.com [mailto:tlug-bounces@example.com Behalf Of

Scott Robbins

I wrote:

However in an alpha of the latest Ubuntu (something Gibbon) I did the
following. In .bashrc

export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8

Ken wrote:

That was part of what I was complaining about.
For me, doing that is not so hard, but for the
average user, who doesn't know an RC file from
an email...  Not so good ^^;

Bart writes:

I hadn't felt the need to enter Korean for

months, so I theoretically shouldn't even remember how to start the SCIM/Anthy business.

I chanced to start Thunderbird from Konsole a few days ago without the prefix. Lo and also behold! Up comes
bart@example.com:~$ selected locale: en-US
Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
[...]

Puzzle ...: Why does this happen, and why doesn't it happen with LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS=@example.com on the front of the command (I would have thought I'd need something similar with maybe "anthy" replacing "kinput2")?

I have no plain .bashrc at all. I did find a /root/.bashrc and an /etc/bash.bashrc, but neither of them seem to have anything to do with the matter.

You didn't say what version of Linux you're using.  I've had this happen
on occasion with Arch, I always put it down to having
GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" in .xinitrc, but never investigated.

Oops, major goof! I'm running PPC Debian Sarge, with 2.4.26 kernel.

No .xinitrc, but I do have a totally uninteresting
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitr. One command: . /etc/X11/Xsession.
(. /etc/X11/Xsession has a lot of stuff in it, but nothing about
GTK_IM_MODULE, scim, or anthy, and nothing I really understand anyway.)

Bart Mathias