Re: [tlug] How to use FF's shortcuts

On 08/08/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> (Generally, the navigation in vi is much more efficient than Emacs,
> as far as I've seen.

For a touch typist, sure.

I wonder if I am specifically not a touch typist because I use Emacs? :)

> Something like "move to the space before third
> instance of the word 'foo' ahead of the cursor and replace the rest
> of the the paragraph with a period seems to me a heck of a lot fewer
> keystrokes than most editors.)

Yes, this is a benefit of modality; the drawback is when you just
start typing, thinking you are in insert mode, and your file gets
destroyed. :)

One thing that has always irritated me about vi is this: why is there
no "replace" equivalent to dw? e.g. I can do something like "27sfoo
bar foobar", but if I want to replace words instead of characters, I
am SOL. Right? Or do vi ninja on this list have a solution to this?

The obvious thing, "3dwifoo bar foobar", is no good because I cannot
repeat it with .

--
Cheers,
Josh