Re: [tlug] [A] Using [TAG SPAM] in email subjects

On Aug 8, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Keith Bawden wrote:

On 8/8/07, emiddleton@example.com <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
Keith Bawden wrote:
As far as I can see, there is no common usage. The IME, FEP, HENKAN
issue being a point in case.

Sorry I am not following your point. Could you explain the relevance
of not having a single word that is commonly associated with input
method has on the use of a tagging in subject headers?

My point is that there is no common sense (in this sense) and that is there is no commonly associated term that would make it obvious to the bulk of readers what the tag actually means. Without doing a table lookup first...

Of course if we all had pull down menus where we could select from and
add new tags[1] from within our email clients then this *might* work.

Hay it is just two extra keys '[' ']' and they are right next to the Enter key if you are using a Japanese layout ;)

My point was not about how difficult it would be to type the tags. My point is how much of a PITA it would be to research what the correct tag is and then type it. After all adding this complexity would not encourage people to join in, and I would not be surprised if some people over policed non-conformity to the new tag regime.

If tagging is done by its concept (as far as I understand it) you do not need to look up a tag. You just add tags by what you think what is right. If anyone else thinks there is a tag missing, he/she just adds it. "Swarm intelligence" will add enough tags that everything important should be in there in the end (One of the reasons why I say that tags in the subject would be messy and they would make more sense in the body or even in a custom header).

Niels