Re: [tlug] Re: Suggestions for splitting of mails?

On Aug 8, 2007, at 8:03 AM, emiddleton@example.com wrote:

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
emiddleton@example.com writes:

<snip>

I think that tags are mostly for searching or browsing the archives
for general information about a specific problem.  Online, they're
somewhat useful to follow the progress of a technical thread (eg,
SOLVED or SUMMARY tags), and to save Josh expenditure on keitai and
keyboards (not to mention his coffee costs).

We are talking about something very different. Think flickr tags, or a
folksonomy[1]. As Josh suggested I will put something more concrete on
the wiki.

But things like flickr-tags are meant for search (in my understanding of the concept). Therefore wouldn't it be better to put the tags regarding a message into the message-body? Those are searched anyway if you search the archives or when you are doing a full-text search on your mails and the readability of the subject keeps the same. I "scan" my mails via the subject if there's something interesting (read) or not (right to the archive) - if there are a bunch of tags at first and I can't read the actual subject anymore, it would waste more time (because I would have to adjust my three-pane-layout for fitting the whole subject or at least the beginning of it) than it would save.

Niels