Re: [tlug] Expensive Microsoft

On 8/2/07, tlug@example.com <tlug@example.com> wrote:
> I think that a good tactic for your son is to find a program that he *wants*
> to write.  Passionately trying to solve a certain problem (or get interesting
> output) would keep his interest high and allow him to learn how to
> program as a side effect.  The challenge is determining a program
> that would have this property but is not too difficult for a beginner.  Here
> are various ideas:

Thank you for your detailed reply!  I'll see where I can go with it.

> If any of these ideas jump out, and you want more advice, feel free
> to let me know.  (It would also be helpful to know your son's
> strongest spoken language, as I would recommend different books
> if it is Japanese, of course.)

He's somewhat bilingual, but his first language is Japanese - I'm
hoping he'll go with computer things in English (he has a Japanese
language version of Kubuntu now, but he's used English before as
well), but it might be good to have some Japanese language material to
get his started?

Thanks again for a very helpful and detailed reply!

Lyle