Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

>> It *can* be done by you, in your company, but it *can't* be done in
>> the majority of cases at any company with more than, say, 100
>> engineers that work on the same codebase.
>
> I'm not sure. I'll agree with your statement, but with the caveat that
> it almost invariably can't be done for political reasons: there are just
> too many people with too much to lose should it ever happen. It may
> well be technically possible, if you could get around all the people
> undermining it for non-technical reasons.

The wikipedia article on agile development [1] covers the same topic as
this thread. They mention BT have had success with several large scale
projects. This article [2] on scaling mentions teams of 50, 100 and 200
as proof of it scaling to large teams.

My opinion, FWIW, is that if you have that many people on the same
*codebase* it is time to split it into products/libraries, each with
their own small public API, and their own release cycles, and develop
each separately.

Darren

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

[2]: http://www.ddj.com/architect/184415491