Re: [tlug] Re: font/char set question

On 30/07/07, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
So now my forms collect data in UTF-8, convert the known problem hyphen
characters, then convert to Shift-JIS, then convert back to UTF-8, and
if the start and end string are not the same I give the user an error
message and tell them not to use weird characters.

Just wondering: Do you, or does anyone else, maintain a publicly available list of wierd hyphens or other Unicode characters that don't strictly speaking map neatly back to anything in Shi(f)t-JIS, but in practice can be converted to something that does? (Encapsulated in a neat little class representing legacy-compatible-UTF8 strings would be best...)

Strikes me as something that a lot of us could find useful, if you're willing to share it...

Edmund