Re: [tlug] Re: font/char set question

Jim Breen wrote:
> (BTW, font is not the issue here. It's all to dowith character
> sets.)
>
> If you try to paste a UTF-8 string into a WWW form set for
> Shift_JIS, a conversion will be done (what software actually
> does it depends on OS, etc.). If matches can't be made, some
> substitution, e.g. blanks, will be done.
>
> Jim

Hi Jim

Not all fonts implement all the gliphs for all the
characters in a character set, right?  or am I just
confusing myself here.  The dot or in this case the small
box -- where does that come from?  Is it output from the OS
or the application or just the character representation for
an unimplemented character.  This is the character
substitution you are talking about, right?

Thanks for the replies