Re: [tlug] Re: Post my article on tlug.jp?

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 01:26:13AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Scott Robbins writes:
>

>  > then make you buy more.  From what (very little) I understand, it seems
>  > as if this is almost what they are now doing with Office--isn't it
>  > something like you don't actually buy it, you just buy a license,
>
> This is the way it always works in the U.S., absent a contract to the
> contrary: you own the media, just like always, and you get an end-user
> license for the software.
>
>  > which has to be renewed in 3 years?
>
> If true, this would be new.  It seems likely to me that you have
> misunderstood something.  Are you sure that's not the period of access
> to Windows Update that the license is bundled with?

That sounds more likely.  I hadn't looked into it very deeply.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Spike:'Made with care for Randy.' (looks at Giles angrily) Randy
Giles? Why not just call me 'Horny Giles,' or 'Desperate for a
Shag Giles'? I knew there was a reason I hated you!
Giles: Randy's ... a family name, undoubtedly.