Re: [tlug] [C&C] AAC is lossy, FLAC is lossless

On 24/07/07, Brett Robson <tlug@example.com> wrote:

To my ears ogg sounds better than mp3 because mp3
easily can lose dynamics, funky music doesn't pump (listen to the snare
crack), but turning up the bit rate on any format helps.

Are you speaking here of Vorbis (which does VBR by default) versus CBR MP3, or are you comparing apples to apples (i.e. VBR vs. VBR)? I have always suspected that Vorbis's psycho-acoustic model is better, allowing for better sound at a lower average bit rate, but I've never carried out a double-blind test.

wav file formats can vary causing incompatibility issues.

You know that sndfile and mencoder and stuff can pretty much convert any flavour of WAV to any other flavour, right?

People often say they can't hear the difference but that's wrong. Even
if they are not consciously aware of it the music sounds different, it
has lost air, shine, sparkle and pump. That sounds like weasel words but
these have real meaning to audio engineers.

No, I know exactly what you mean. Good code also has these properties, and sometimes it is very difficult to qualify *how* it is missing in bad code, just that it is. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh