Re: [tlug] [C&C] AAC is lossy, FLAC is lossless

Josh Glover wrote:

What lossless codec would people recommend for audio? Brett, you have
some experience--IIRC--with audio engineering; do you have a favourite
codec?

It depends on what you have. I mentioned above I use ogg (320k), flac and wav. Ogg is great but not all portable players support it - I don't *think* ipods do. To my ears ogg sounds better than mp3 because mp3 easily can lose dynamics, funky music doesn't pump (listen to the snare crack), but turning up the bit rate on any format helps. Of course flac (lossless compression) and wav are great but eat up disc space, and wav file formats can vary causing incompatibility issues. I don't use AAC because it's incompatible with my music production software.

People often say they can't hear the difference but that's wrong. Even if they are not consciously aware of it the music sounds different, it has lost air, shine, sparkle and pump. That sounds like weasel words but these have real meaning to audio engineers. But all this depends on what you are listening to. Modern pop music, especially Japanese, is so highly compressed (audio wise not data) that it doesn't matter what codec you use. But whatever you do don't let me get started on that one.

Brett