Re: [tlug] Japanese in Xandros

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
CL writes:

> I also found that I needed to also reconfigure locales. When I made the > new locale package I selected "none" of my choices to be the default.

Er, SCIM probably wants to know what charset to serve up, and you just
told the system to tell it "please stick to ASCII; nothing outside of
the range 0-127."
First thing I did when I started Debian 4.0 this morning was to change that to ja_JP and save the change.

Try launching scim with

    LANG=ja_JP.utf8 scim -d

I don't know that it will help, but it shouldn't hurt.

 > $ export LC_TYPE=ja_JP.utf8

Use a bigger hammer, man.  Ie, just do LANG=ja_JP.utf8 and be done
with it, for testing.  I don't know if you made the same typo when you
tried, but the fact that you didn't type "LC_CTYPE" here shows how
easy it is to commit this typo.

If you don't like the side effects of LANG=ja, we can fix that later.
But I don't even trust SCIM to use the right locale variable at this
point.
I booted into Debian 4.0 this a.m. and went through Scott's original checklist without the spelling errors. I made it all the way through to having a scim-anthy box in the Panel that could switch between input choices ... except I wasn't seeing any E <-> J conversion. Got excited.

Went ahead and installed my .ttf and .ttc fonts, read a few recent TLUG messages, rebooted, and typed:

LANG=ja_JP.utf8 scim -d

Smart Common Input Method 1.4.4

Launching a SCIM process with x11...
Creating backend ...
Failed to launch SCIM.

*sigh*

So much for the big hammer. Tried the little hammer with the same result. Trying to think if there was anything else I changed ....

Stuck again :'(

--

CL