Re: [tlug] Japanese in Xandros

Scott Robbins wrote:

Before we get on to what Scott wrote, I am breaking in to explain that this is the output from Console as I invoke each of Scott's recommended commands:

Theoretically (as the fortune quote goes, Theoretically means, "Not
really" with a locale of en_US.UTF-8 (FreeBSD designation, not sure what
it is in Debian) you should be able to input Japanese with a scim-anthy
combination. I remember you saying you'd used EUC and I believe that is
how you typed it.  The first thing to do is see how your particular
distribution phrases it.  To do that

locale -a | grep ja_JP

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory

So, try it at its simplest. I don't know if Xandros uses gnome or KDE,
but regardless, we'll try something that should work in either one.

See if scim is running.  (For the rest of this, I'll put a $ in front of
anything that should be typed in a terminal as a command.)

$ pgrep scim

no response, just issued a new line.

BTW, I dropped "$" as I am in Administrator console and "~#" is preset. I keep getting a response:

bash: $:  command not found

so I quit using the symbol to see what would happen.

If you get a response (probably a few lines of numbers), well and good.
If not then

$ scim -d

Smart Common Input Method 1.4.7

Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
Creating backend ...
Starting SCIM as daemon ...
Launching a SCIM process with x11...
Creating backend ...

and then, it stops, making me think this party is over until something can be fixed.

Hopefully, you'll get something to the effect that scim has been
started.

Nope. So, I guess we've located Problem Number One. Based upon some of your other comments, would the best first thing to do is issue "make uninstall"s for the four programs I installed manually and reinstall them using "apt-get"?

<Rest snipped until it is needed in a later message>

--
CL