Re: [tlug] core dumps

On 15/07/07, steven smith <sjs@example.com> wrote:

I found no core file. I know that on Solaris this had to be enabled. I couldn't find any references to this in the Linux programming books I have. How does one enable core dumps in Linux. And the message above implies that a core file was created although I suspect that it wasn't. Where would an application that's started from the panel dump core to.

Core dumps are automatically enabled. Your system or user config may change the maximum core dump size to zero, and that would stop them getting saved.

The app will dump core in its current working directory, which could
be anywhere if it decided to change it.  I would guess (just a guess)
that the panel stays in you home dir, so if your app does not chdir
then it would still be there too.  Have a look at the "cwd" link in
the process's /proc dir the next time you try.  You should also run it
from bash instead of the panel, and run ulimit -c first to see if your
core file size has been restricted.

--
Marty