Re: [tlug] [OT] Raising a geek (was: Interesting Hans Reiser article in Wired)

Josh Glover wrote, On 07/14/2007 09:36 AM:

The classroom had an Apple, and they were teaching us Logo, which
would have been awesome had I not taught myself Applesoft Basic at
home (by that time, I was dabbling in 68000 assember; I would enter
the programs from those magazines, and very occasionally could I find
and fix a simple bug).

I remember that when I was 10 at school we had the first contact with computers. They teach logo. It was an Epson QX10.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/comp/qx10/

Before that, when I was 9 my cousin gift me an Olivetti M10
http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/comp/m10/index.html
http://www.1000bit.net/events/vcfi2004/09040017.jpg
It was great, I learn Basic with it.
Then a Commodore 64.
I think that kind of computers, where more educative than today. As a child I could investigate how to use it, investigate commands, machine code and start to learn many things by my self. It was funny just because I had few documentation, and it was a challenge to discover how to do things.
Nowadays there are so many layers that make hard for a child understand what's going on. I learn what was a register and that was good. Today they learn what is an icon or a button...
I don't mean that it's not necessary. What I want to say is that the intellectual stimulation that I had at that age using computers that practically only had a command line and some rudimentary graphics, was really important to understand other things later as math, physics and so forth. When I talk with some young relative, I feel really bad about to see how they receive an education that even, if huge or not, they don't know how to think by them selfs.
I remember that in medium-school I had to learn Latin. It was great to introduce logical thinking because Latin grammar is like maths. But bow they take it of from the educational Italian system...

When I talk to some old person they talk me about what they had to learn at 40's or 50's. Memorize entire texts, translate huge Latin and Greek texts. Draw by hand many things, as maps, or body parts... That's only elementary and medium school. But today if I try to draw by hand a map the result is pathetic.. So I feel that educational systems are getting bad every day. Less content, many automatic tools, and so forth..

More ignorant and stupid the people is, easier to control mass...

So it's important to make child think. If not they will be just one more droid to the society.

(maybe I get out of context.... 二日酔いので...)

-- - Pietro Zuco (ピエトロ・ズコ) - - pietro@example.com - Home page: http://www.zuco.org - Photo Blog: http://photo.zuco.org - Linux User: 252836