Re: [tlug] Video Editing Soft & Formats

Jediah, Josh,

Sorry, you are both wrong on how well I know "the craft", assuming you are speaking about the craft of video editing.

You are both making the mistake that because I disagree with you, I must be not be as informed.

I attended Vancouver film school, specialized in 3D computer animation, and my first career was developing graphics for Japanese television. I've worked on Mac, Windows, and SGI (Irix), and used just about every video and graphics related application out there. Everything from consumer end to professional end.

I've worked in a number of video and film production environments, doing everything from animation to video editing for many years, and I continue to do work in that area.

So when I say I've checked the software available on Linux, you can be damned sure that I really did check it, and I knew what I was looking for.

In other words, Jediah, to use your analogy, I AM an author, and I'll thank you kindly to not just start attacking my credentials just because I'm not saying something you agree with.

And Josh, I understand very well that King Kong and Lord Of The Rings, and a lot of what happens at Luxasarts and Pixar and Dreamworks are done with Linux rendering engines. But their editing software (which actually most likely is not on Linux anyway) is not available, and what they farm out for rendering and what they use as an interface is very different.

I absolutely think that it is fair to recommend that someone who wants to video editing on Linux keep their expectations low. Just because you can play a lot of file formats (I like Xine best) easily doesn't mean you can work with them easily. I have used Cinellera, and Kino, and Open Movie Editor, and LiVES, and other varied conversion applications, and they all suffer from instability, poor interface, opaque documentation, and limited features. Never mind trying to make King Kong at home. Just try and keep them running for more than 30 minutes.

If you want to know more about why I disliked anything specifically, or what particulars I experienced, then by all means ask. But don't just immediately jump on me with accusations that I'm either "spreading FUD" or that I am not qualified to have my opinions.

--
Dave M G