Re: [tlug-admin] Re: [tlug] iptables - Tools for easy configuration

On 7/2/07, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

What do you think? I think it could be a neat thing to start doing at
meetings.

Well it sounds good but personally in this occasion I think we are not discussing about opposite positions, we are talking about different things that have the same effect but a different nature. It's not a matter of right or not right. And it's not a matter of "I'll try to convince you" ore not. I think that everything is decided by the circumstances and the scenario. My point is more "theoretical" than "practical" I can't say that using that kind of tools will not produce a good result. I just focus the problem from the perspective of knowledge abstraction and from my personal experience where I had no tool or easy way to do the job. If in that situations I didn't understand the network theory and the principles behind firewalls I couldn't make the job and the consequences could be frightful! Got fired and let my 14 children without food for two months...

That's why I prefer to use iptables and no depend from a tool.
Finally I wanted to talk about _iptables_ and how to make a firewall
with it. I didn't want to talk about "firewalls" in general or "tools"
to configure iptables. If the people is more interested to learn
different tools and how to use them maybe you will give a better talk
about that than me.

I think the format can keep it from getting flame-esque, and
you and I respect each other enough to keep it technical and not take
it personally.

Wait wait wait... what? respect?? Come on! Since you made me try the worst beer I had ever drink... I can't respect you!! ;-)

Anyway I had never take personally a technical discussion... :)

      -Pietro

-- - Pietro Zuco (ピエトロ・ズコ) - - pietro@example.com - Home page: http://www.zuco.org - Photo Blog: http://photo.zuco.org - Linux User: 252836