Re: [tlug] Irfanview Via Wine

On 7/1/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
Yes.  It *is* a command-line editor.  If you know what algorithms you
want to apply, you can script it; it's excellent for web pipelines.
See http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/ for lots of examples.  It also
has a command called "display", which allows you to apply the
individual commands to the image being displayed.  It's not a paint
program, but there are many operations you can do interactively using
the WIMP interface.

Thanks! I think it was recommended to me way back when, but I got sidetracked with GQView and other things. This time I think better study up on it. Thanks for the link.

One problem is that it is a major resource pig.  It only has one
depth for in-memory images, which IIRC can be 16, 32, or 64 bpp (multiple
of 4 because of the alpha channel).  Running out of memory on a 1GB
system is not uncommon.

Doesn't sound like something my 512MB computer will like very much, but I'll see how it goes and start dreaming of 2GB memory and another computer. Sigh... I must be getting old... the thought of ever more hardware is beginning to make me tired.

Lyle