Re: [tlug] Linux on Sun Fire X4600

On 28/06/07, Marcelo Martins <mhtmartins@example.com> wrote:
As for RHEL and Suse, according to my superior, it'd be better if we
skipped them in order to save some money (license? support? No idea,
never touched RHEL). As for me, I don't have anything against these
distros. Actually, I'd feel more relieved if they spent a couple of
yens on one of them.

If you are interested in Linux but don't want to pay then you could use a free version and should get the same results. Redhat [1] and SUSE [2] have both certified this machine so CentOS (RHEL rebuild) and opensuse should be happy on it. The sas disks are the only slightly unusual things according to the driver list.

We run a 16 core machine on the same image as 2 core machines
and don't need to do anything special for things like the extra
processors, etc.

In saying that I would make sure your boss understands the
potential consequences of his penny pinching, i.e. "It doesn't
work, I can't fix it, you didn't buy any support, we're screwed" :D

[1] http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4600/os.jsp
[2] http://developer.novell.com/yes/88908.htm

Neil.