Re: [tlug] Desktop Wars Query

On 27/06/07, Al Hoang <hoanga@example.com> wrote:

Having said that, I
think when it comes to crawling in the terminal it still doesn't match
konsole for a few reasons.
1. Tab renaming in konsole seems easier to handle (at least for me).
   I rename my tabs based on purpose of the terminal to make it easier
   to determine at a glance what this terminal is for

Hrm, I use my bashrc for this:

http://www.jmglov.net/unix/bash.html

Specifically:

# xterm title settings case $TERM in

 xterm*|rxvt|Eterm|eterm)

   PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@example.com: ${PWD}\007"'
   export PROMPT_COMMAND
   ;;

 screen)

   PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne
"\033_${USER}@example.com:${PWD/$HOME/~}\033\\"'
   export PROMPT_COMMAND
   ;;

esac

2. The Shift-alt-<arrow> feature for being able to shuffle around tabs
   is awesome.  gnome-terminal does not have this feature

You do know about Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDown, right? How is the Shift-Alt-<arrow> feature different?

3. Tab-switching actually cycles rather than stop when you hit the
   left or right edges.  I absolutely hate this stupidity in metacity
   windows manager and gnome-terminal.

Yeah, and I wish Ctrl-Tab worked in gnome-terminal like in Firefox. Maybe I'll fix that when I get a slice of free time.

4. Far more configurable shortcuts in case you absolutey despise the
   defaults.   I've remapped some of mine to make my life simpler

Yeah, this is a common complaint of mine when it comes to Gnome apps (which is why I use almost none of them).

5. KDE's actual working session management saving means you can get
   your console's AND tabs AND screen location to come back with
   minimal fuss.  And it seems konsole will actually remember the
   directory a particular tab was in when it saves which is nice
   for remembering where to pick up on something

Nifty!

I'll have to give Konsole a spin. I already have the KDE kitchen sink
due to the sheer awesomeness of Amarok[1], so I don't have to worry
about the 30 minute compile. :)

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://amarok.kde.org/