Re: [tlug] Desktop Wars Query

Greets,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 01:25:02PM +0900, Josh Glover wrote:
> On 26/06/07, David J Iannucci <jlinux@example.com> wrote:
>
> >(btw Konsole rules all other terminal emulators :-)
>
> Why do you say so? I am honestly curious.

    konsole is in general my first choice in firing up a terminal.

> I hate myself a little for using gnome-terminal, but it handles i18n
> better than any of the other terms I had tried (including mlterm, for
> which the sole raison d'etre is multi-lingual stuff), along with tabs,
> which are no longer optional for me.

    gnome-terminal is actually quite advanced for a terminal application
and it's no fuss in handling i18n is very nice.  Having said that, I
think when it comes to crawling in the terminal it still doesn't match
konsole for a few reasons.
1. Tab renaming in konsole seems easier to handle (at least for me).
   I rename my tabs based on purpose of the terminal to make it easier
   to determine at a glance what this terminal is for
2. The Shift-alt-<arrow> feature for being able to shuffle around tabs
   is awesome.  gnome-terminal does not have this feature and it
   sucks when a couple of tabs that were not very related in activity
   suddenly do become related in activity.  To handle this in
   gnome-terminal means either doing a lot of tab-shifting or
   moving all your activities to another terminal.  With konsole it
   simple.  Just push around the tabs that are your current hot tabs
   next to each other and bounce back and forth doing what you need
   to do.   You can re-arrange them later back to the way they were
   if you're done.  The ability to move around tabs rather
   simply really matches my chaotic workflow well.
3. Tab-switching actually cycles rather than stop when you hit the
   left or right edges.  I absolutely hate this stupidity in metacity
   windows manager and gnome-terminal.  WHen you have 6+ tabs open
   it is really a waste of keystrokes to have go ALL the way to the left if
   you're on the rightmost tab.  Or heaven forbid.. use the mouse
4. Far more configurable shortcuts in case you absolutey despise the
   defaults.   I've remapped some of mine to make my life simpler
5. KDE's actual working session management saving means you can get
   your console's AND tabs AND screen location to come back with
   minimal fuss.  And it seems konsole will actually remember the
   directory a particular tab was in when it saves which is nice
   for remembering where to pick up on something

Alain