Re: [tlug] Desktop Wars Query

David J Iannucci wrote:
I use KDE. Never realized that I was in such a small minority.

Not that small :-) KDE here, too. Since I can remember KDE has always
seemed far more polished than Gnome to me. Gnome just seems so....
cheesy and unprofessional :-S Sorry Gnome fans :-)
Funny I started to write something similar a bit earlier and got side tracked with work.

But deep down I'm the sort who really prefers simplicity and speed to an
over-GUIed environment. No need for icons, esp. on the desktop. I use
IceWM. It's small, simple, and has the features I need, including a
really beautiful theme called BlueHeart that just puts all other window
decorations to shame :-)

I couldn't care too much for the decorations but I will say it is a FAR CRY from the vomit inducing look of CDE! Also in gnome I don't like the 2 bar tile design in gnome. I have my kde bar at the top minimized to the smallest size it will go and only 85% of width of the screen.

To tell the truth, the main reason I use KDE underneath IceWM is that if
I don't, my Konsole windows won't be translucent (btw Konsole rules all
other terminal emulators :-) It's mainly that one bit of eye-candy
that keeps me spending memory on the DE - I just really like the
translucency :-}
You need ICE to do translucent? I am not using it that I am aware of and I get translucent option but mostly only in menus and konsole which BTW rules all other terminal emulators :-) With 60 + servers I am sure I would be lost trying to keep track of them all w/o the re-nameable tabs.

E./