Re: [tlug] [OT?]A Hard Drive Question

> Message: 14
> Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:23:22 +0900
> From: "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] [OT?]A Hard Drive Question
> To: "Tokyo Linux Users Group" <tlug@example.com>
>
> On 15/06/07, burlingk@example.com <burlingk@example.com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone ever formatted an external USB hard drive with anything
> > other than FAT32?  Is it possible to format one using EXT3
> or similar?
> > If so, are there any benefits to doing so?
>
> XFS. The benefits are the same as using XFS on your internal
> hard drive.
>
> The drawbacks are that it is Unix-only, if you consider that
> a problem. ;)
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Josh

So,
What are the benefits of XFS?  I don't know anything about it.
As for use with windows, the various tools for reading non-windows
file systems under windows are becoming better by the year.  There
are a number of tools that allow read-only access to EXT# and ReisterFS
drives already.  I am guessing that the reason for them being read
only is probably for security reasons, but with proper security on
the windows side, access could still be limited to those who have
admin level access.