Re: [tlug] [OT?]A Hard Drive Question

On 15/06/07, tlug@example.com <tlug@example.com> wrote:

I have also experimented with partitioning USB drives to use more than one
partition.  One idea was to make a small FAT32 partition as well as a second
ext2 partition.  This could be useful in case you ever need to use it on a
non-Linux machine but still want to have the benefits of a Linux fs.
Alternately, the FAT32 partition could be used as a decoy, and Windows users
would never know that a second, encrypted filesystem exists on the drive.  My
partitioned drives worked perfectly on my (Gentoo) box, but unfortunately
they had problems on other machines, so I gave up on that idea.

I use a similar technique; all of my USB mass storage-compatible media has a tiny ext2 partition at the end, but instead of encrypting the partition, I simply encrypt the files within. So on any machine where I have access to my GPG private key, I am golden.

--
Cheers,
Josh