Re: [tlug] centos5 printing -- solved -- driver news

Gernot Hassenpflug writes:

 > if anyone would be able to find funding for a project to develop an
 > OpenPrinterEngine,

I think L. Peter Deutsch is about to burst into tears.

That's *exactly* what Ghostscript (GhostPCL, etc) is supposed to be.
The whole business model of Aladdin/Artifex is (was?) built around
writing low-level drivers for hardware so that as far as the world is
concerned your printer looks just like a Genuine Adobe Postscript
printer, or a Genuine Hewlett-Package PCL printer.

BTW, I don't know if it really makes sense to say that Canon printers
are "smarter" than Epson printers (it might, I don't know).  However,
like HP and its open proprietary PCL standard, like Adobe and its open
proprietary Postscript standard, Epson has the (pseudo?) open
proprietary Esc/P standard interface for its printers.  Canon has
never had such a thing; every Canon printer seems to have
substantially different command sets.

The problem with Epson is that it reserves the right to not conform to
its own standards.