[tlug] Some UTF8 Japanese breaks out of vertical flow

Dave M G writes:

 > Does anyone know why some characters are exceptional in how they display
 > as compared to the other characters in a case like this?

kinsoku (禁則)

I disagree with Breen-sama about whose software is horked here.  This
is bog-standard behavior (specifically the Great Swamp of Unicode,
cf. Annex 14 <http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr14/>).  If you want to
change this "correctly", you might try using ZERO WIDTH SPACE (ZWSP
<http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/200b/index.htm>), but
that apparently has problems with versions of Exploiter you may
encounter in the wild even today
(http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread154142.html).  You are likely
to get other layout issues with spacing whitespace, depending on the
layout engine.

Note that using the break-at-spaces method you will still be easily
recognizable as a gaijin, as the alignment of small size characters
and punctuation, and the orientation of ellipses and dashes, should
change for vertical use.  I haven't read it<wink>, but UTN #22
(http://unicode.org/notes/tn22/) may be of use here.  Since you have
specified short lines rather than vertical orientation, you will not
get the benefit of smart software that knows how to algorithmically
transform those glyphs, even if the font has the required information.