Re: [tlug] Nice reply by Torvalds

Several US states, most memorably Massachussetts, require that an Open
Source / Free Software solution be considered for every contract
opened for bidding. They also push FOSS (I hate that acronym, but who
wants to type Open Source / Free Software more than once an email?) in
government offices, mostly for open document formats.

The Australian Capital Territory has a similar law.[1]

I think it is becoming more and more "trendy" for pollies to talk
about "software for the people, by the people". I cannot remember his
name but there was a Federal Minister for Communications who was a
always pushing FLOSS. He had no real idea what it was but he jumped
behind the bandwagon and pushed it around quite a bit.

Regards, Keith
[1] http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=792934018&fp=16&fpid=0