Re: [tlug] the power of the live CD

Michael Engel writes:

 > Why not extend the concept of Google (Google Docs: "you can work
 > from everywhere on your private files") to: you carry your own OS
 > with you which you can boot on every computer

I don't think you can expect an OS that is programmed in any language
except Javascript to be bootable on every computer.  That's why Google
is so winning.  The hard parts that have to run at machine speeds are
done on hardware chosen to that spec.  Those parts that only have to
be faster than a human can type are done in Javascript, and they could
run on a Z80 (if you have a text browser).

The fact is that non-otakki don't *ever* want to notice the OS, any
more than they want to hear the details about multi-ignition fuel
injection in their car's engine.  Has anybody here ever seen a Windows
Vista ad that describes a *technical* change in Windows Vista in a
non-otaku venue?  (Sure, you can *see* it has a Porter-Duff
compositing GUI more or less equivalent to Xrender or Mac Quartz, but
you'll never *hear* that or see it in *words*.  And how 'bout the
threading model?  Journaling file system?  Is the TCP stack still
vanilla BSD, or have they ruined it?  No, I don't think you'll hear
about that stuff on TV. ;-)

I forget who it was that argued that the platform choice for this
century is not Windows, Linux, or Darwin, and not even .NET, GNOME, or
Mac OS X.  It's office suite vs. web browser.  I think they're right.
(Not for me, and not for you.  But for the vast majority of people
waving $$$ at Frys or ïïï at BIC Camera, I think that's spot-on.)

 > Such kind of services are a unique chance for Linux - as it is free, so
 > you don't need to care about the OS.

Which is also true about Google, and all you need for Google is a web
browser on the box, which these days is more likely to be common to
all boxes than a CD drive is.  And you don't need to worry if there's
enough memory on the box to open the wordprocessor and the web browser
at the same time, nor whether there's a driver for the video and
network card on the CD.

Don't get me wrong.  Indeed, such services are a chance for Linux
... but it's not unique.  If you try to set up a business that depends
on the _uniqueness_, you will lose your shirt.