Re: [tlug] Micro-SD Card Throws Me A Curve Ball [SOLVED]

Godwin, Curt,

Thanks for responding.

Godwin Stewart wrote
$ sudo /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sdd
This provided the key detail. I lost the exact error output, but the short story is that SD cards formatted on my Palm Pilot are Fat16, but for some reason Ubuntu Feisty doesn't like the way Palm does it.

So, I can format a card on Ubuntu, using Gparted, as FAT16, and Palm will like it. And when I insert it into my card reader on my computer, it will show up automatically on my desktop.

However, if I format the card on my Palm, it's FAT16, but somehow Feisty doesn't like it as much. Even though I can mount it with pmount, when I ran the command above, it said something along the lines of "partition table not found".

Dapper and Edgy both accepted the way Palm created FAT16 partitions, so on the one hand that would make me blame Feisty for the recent troubles. On the other hand, my girlfriend's keitai seems to format SD cards as FAT16 in a way that is universally compatible, which means my Palm TX is the odd one out. So I'm not sure what the implications here are, and who might be to blame.

But in any case, by formatting on the computer I get full functionality on both Palm and desktop, so basically the problem is solved.

Thanks to everyone in TLUG for helping me to finally get to an acceptable end to this SD card issue.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04