Re: [tlug] Small footprint Linux distribution without a GUI

Jedidiah Israel wrote:
Can anyone recommend a Linux distribution which does not install a
graphical user interface? I am searching for a Linux distribution with
a very small footprint to run services.

I'm sure many people are going to ask.... How small is small? I like having a copy of grml [1] lately for the times I need a LiveCD to work with. Unfortunately with the introduction of Core 2 Duo systems, I've found a real need for having an ISO that can boot on those systems and recognize the hardware on it.

grml also includes a mini version that is about 170MB uncompressed and 58MB as an iso.

There is always the option of install Debian base install and slowly layering on the pieces that you absolutely need. If you want a source based approach I'm sure the Gentoo-ists here can give you hints on how to trim down a Gentoo install to something lightweight although installing software might be tricky after that.

If you need even smaller, you might want to look at OpenWRT or any of the embedded distros for fitting into a quite small footprint.

[1] http://www.grml.org