Re: [tlug] Thoughts

Godwin Stewart wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2007 14:29:31 +0900, "Arwyn Hainsworth"
<arwynh@example.com> wrote:

They are going to be shipping it with Ubuntu, so there won't be a root
password. Simple, but less funny. :(

Exactly. Just think of all those 'Net-connected machines with no root password and with users who have no inkling of the security implications thereof.

Maybe "we" should petition the Ubuntu guys to fix this hole?
I'm not so sure this is a hole as such.

Ubuntu comes configured so that you can't login to root with a password, you can only su/sudo your way to root. In itself that actually looks more like "best practises" than a security hole to me.

I assume Dell will have a "run-once"-thingie for the first time the computer is booted where you can add users and decide what time-zone, language, password and keyboard-mapping you prefer.

kind regards,
-sig

--
Sigurd Urdahl
Linux, goofing, cooking, making fire, computer security, having a