Re: [tlug] Ubuntu / EPIA / Media Player

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Lyle H Saxon wrote:

Does it save much space to save an entire album as one file versus
saving each track on the original CD as one file?

The short answer is, "no, not at all."

The longer answer: if you're on a filesystem with fairly large blocks,
which is what you'd want to do if you're storing a lot of large files,
it get up to a half megabyte per album. Still not a big deal when you're
talking three or four hundred megabytes per album; even with 831 discs
(including a fair number of CD singles), 400 MB is not a big dent either
way in 235 GB.

There were a bunch of reasons behind my thinking to rip CDs as single
files rather than per-track. (Well, they're not really single files; for
each FLAC file I have another file for the TOC and yet another for the
CDID.) In sort of random order, they are:

    * It's the same information, anyway.

    * It seemed to me easier at the time to deal with less than 3000
    files rather than some 30,000.

    * It's easier and faster to burn a new copy of a CD from a single
    file, rather than trying to put the tracks back together again.

    * I could just start ripping, and worry later about getting track
    title information.

    * I didn't have to worry about how to deal with tracks that start at
    -00:07 or some other negative value.

    * Possibly one avoids issues with live albums or others that have
    continuous music across several tracks.

    * It makes it easier to preserve subcode information in the CD.

Personally, I don't recommend doing it this way unless you've got a
pretty good reason for doing so or you're just uptight about keeping as
close as possible to the original format (as I am). All of the software
I've ever seen out there is designed for one-song-per-file, and has no
concept of anything else.

cjs