Re: [tlug] Ubuntu / EPIA / Media Player

On Mon, 7 May 2007 21:58:18 +0900
"Lyle H Saxon" <llletters@example.com> wrote:

> On 5/7/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> > As an example, I have most of my CD collection (800+ CDs) ripped into
> > FLAC format as a single file per CD, which I particularly like because
> > it's relatively compact
>
> Does it save much space to save an entire album as one file versus
> saving each track on the original CD as one file?  I've also backed up
> several of my CD's to FLACK, but each track gets its own file (several
> files per CD, each CD getting its own folder).  Wouldn't not bunching
> up a group of tracks into one file be a better way to go?

When a track doesn't actually end in silence and continues on in the next
you don't hear a pause there when listening to a CD. If you rip it to MP3,
you will hear a pause between the songs, because of the padding in the
mp3 frame and whatnot.
I'm not sure about the FLAC format, but I guess it's the same as with
mp3. This is the only reason to save it in one file I guess.

--
boti