Re: [tlug] Ubuntu versions

Brian,

At this point I would recommend you stick to version 6.10 of Ubuntu. That's "Edgy Eft".

The latest version, 7.04 or "Feisty Fawn", which was released only a week or so ago, is having problems. On the Ubuntu forums there's a lot of grumbling about broken features and bugs. There are those for whom it works perfectly, and those who are getting caught out by problems they didn't have in version 6.10.

I have 3 machines now, all running Ubuntu, and I'm a big fan of Ubuntu. But I would warn anyone from adopting Feisty at this stage.

The latest problem I discovered is a bit of a doozy. On my girlfriend's laptop, I upgraded it to Feisty. The next day she tells me the computer keeps shutting down. Sure enough, I run it for a few minutes and it shuts down with a warning that the CPU has reached a "critical" temperature of 41 degrees Celsius. It kept doing this over and over again. The fact that the bottom of the laptop didn't feel all that warm made me suspicious that it wasn't a hardware problem.

Fortunately, the previous installation is still available for booting, so I just booted her computer back into 6.10, and she's all good again. (Almost lost a Linux convert there!)

But, that shows you the level of problem in Feisty. Right now as I type this I'm installing 6.10 onto a computer because I had Feisty installed earlier and just couldn't get the sound to work.

So out of 3 computers that I had upgraded to Feisty, two I rolled back to Edgy. Not an impressive score for Feisty.

Hope that information helps you.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn