Re: [tlug] Re: Search Tools...

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 12:26:28PM +0900, Darren Cook wrote:
> >> Well, now I do.  My particular need is that I have about 300 PDF files
> >> that I need to search as a group for a collection of key words.
>
> If the PDFs contain Japanese, then Namazu searches pdf files (IIRC by
> using a helper utility or perl script to extract the text). Namazu will
> also work fine with plain English, but (apparently) will choke on
> European characters (it uses EUC-JP internally, not UTF-8).
>
> Darren

Darren, thanks for the suggestion.  As you see from my next post, tlug
was cc'd by accident--basically, what happened was a long time ago, I
was experimenting with folder hooks so that anything sent while in the
tlug mbox would go to tlug--playing around with something else, I
accidentally uncommented it.

However my friend will probably be grateful for the suggestion--he's
involved in scientific research and frequently has to apply for
government grants, so has to do a lot of work with pdfs.

Japanese isn't an issue, this would all be in English.  I'm not sure
what the default charset would be, probably UTF-8 as he has occasional
use for other languages.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Joyce: Have we met?
Spike: You hit me with an ax one time. Remember? Uh, 'Get the hell
away from
my daughter!'
Joyce: Oh. So, do you, uh, live here in town?