[tlug] Seriously? No undo for rm? No trash bin?

TLUG,

Well, I've gone and deleted an entire directory of important stuff with "rm -r". Entirely by accident. Ironically it happened while I was trying to back the directory up.

The thing is, I am certain that I have on occasion deleted something from the command line, and Ubuntu moved it into my trash bin. So initially, I wasn't to panicked.

But this time, it just seems to be gone. There's nothing in the .Trash directory. No hidden files, nothing.

I do have a back up of my data, but this latest rm command will have destroyed a few solid days of work.

I looked on Google, and most things I read say that Linux is extremely unforgiving, and there is no way to reverse an "rm" command.

It would suck so hard to lose this directory.

Is there really no way? Why was Ubuntu able to move things to the trash before, and not now?

Arrrrgh.....!

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn