Re: [tlug] Linux-compatible Mac laptop?

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 17:22, Joseph Essertier wrote:
>Is there such a thing as a linux-compatible Mac laptop on the
> new-computer market today?  I want to order one in the next few
> weeks, if there is.  Any recommendations?

I bought a MacBook in January and dual boot OS X and Debian Etch. You
don't need Boot Camp to dual boot; just reinstall OS X and create a
smaller partition when you do (leaving space for the later Linux
install). You can switch OSs at boot time either by holding the Option
key, or by installing reFIT on OS X to provide a nice boot menu. A nice
thing about the regular MacBook is that it has Intel graphics, which
have good open source driver support.

I started with Ubuntu 6.10 but it didn't support the hardware very well.
I tried Ubuntu 7.04 (both "Herd 3" and "Herd 4"). 7.04 supported the
hardware wonderfully, but the Grub bootloader that it installed was a
constant source of frustration. Every time there was a kernel update
(and on the beta release, that seemed to be quite frequent), Linux
wouldn't be able to boot and i'd have to boot off the install CD and go
in and fix it. The last time that happened i wasn't able to get it
working again so i backed up my files and went with Debian, with which
i am much more familiar. There are documents (Google for "<your Linux
distribution of choice> macbook") describing how to get Linux installed
without hassle. The only trick i found was when installing Debian to
install Lilo instead of Grub, and to install it to the root partition
instead of the MBR. Now i have everything working to my liking except
for wireless, which i haven't tried to fix yet. Perhaps this weekend.

By the way, i think this is my first post to this list. Despite not
being anywhere near Tokyo, i subscribed a few months ago when
researching Linux Japanese support. The last few months i've been
learning Japanese and hope next year to visit the country once i
understand enough of the language to carry on very basic conversation.