[tlug] Re: Feisty Upgrade, USB issues and other oddities

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:36:02 +0900
From: Dave M G <martin@example.com>

TLUG,

So, for amusements sake, I upgraded to Feisty Fawn. I was motivated by
the fact that I had heard that Bluetooth support was a little better,
and I want to get my wireless headphone/microphone set working.

I know it's beta, but it's only a week or so away from release, so I
figured I'd be safe.

My main comment is that if really want to be safe, you should wait at least a week or two after the release to see if any big bugs crawl out of the woodwork. The people who volunteer to run beta stuff have to be regarded as a highly skewed user sample, to put it politely...

My minor comment regards my own upgrade plans for Ubuntu. I finally got around to doing the tweaking on my mini-scratch-monkey's hard disk, and I now have about a GB to play with. The current state is partly stripped from Dapper. Perhaps 75% of a normal installation, and somewhat behind on its updates, too. My two main options are to take it to Edgy now and then go to Feisty in a couple of weeks (a two-step upgrade), or wait and try to do the Feisty upgrade in one fell swoop (a one-step upgrade). I'm quite sure that I have room for the Edgy (or Feisty) upgrade, but I'm concerned that Edgy might leave me in a tight situation for the Feisty upgrade. I'm also unsure if I might get a "cleaner" upgrade by going with one-step, or if I might be at greater risk of running into some irresolvable Feisty dependencies on Edgy if I skip it. Anyone with deeper insights into the real risks?

No real USB comment, except that I still think it would still be nice to figure out how to use the modem mode on my USB-connected phone with Linux. That's a Sharp 003. The hardware is okay, but the Windows Mobile OS is truly appalling.

My oddity comment regards the club funding... This auction-based thing kind of bothers me. In my current technical and non-programmatic state, I don't feel like I'm likely to make any significant technical contributions. That leaves non-technical contributions, including funding--but auctions sort of leave me out. Partly I feel I have too much junk already, but mostly it bothers me to feel like some people seem to be taking significant financial hits for the fractional benefit of the group. I'd rather just pony up a bit at each meeting and let it go at that.

From that perspective, I'd rather invert the problem. I suggest the club
decide on a budget and let the members discuss it and vote on it. Having decided on how much money is needed, just divide it up by the number of meetings and the number of people at each meeting, and ask for donations of the appropriate amount, perhaps defrayed by auction proceeds or any other revenue sources. I don't know what the budget has been, but considering the meetings I've attended over the last few months, if most people gave a hundred yen at a meeting, that would probably generate rather more revenue than seems to be needed...