[tlug] [SOLVED] Viewing Japanese in Firefox... in RHEL3

On 28/03/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

Josh Glover writes:

 > So I install the Microsoft core fonts[1] by following the procedure on
 > the webpage, and restart xfs and X itself, just to be sure.

Last I looked (a few years ago now) the core fonts don't contain
non-Latin glyphs.

*gulp*

You are sure right about that. I feel pretty sheepish, since I have
been sure those fonts (and Bitstream Vera) contained Japanese glyphs
for years.

If anyone else is confused about the level of Unicode support in a
specific font, this site might help:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/font/index.htm

Just in case anyone else runs into this situation (which would likely
involve a time machine), the solution that worked for me was
downloading the kochi-substitute fonts[1], untarring it, sticking
kochi-gothic-subst.ttf and kochi-mincho-subst.ttf in a newly created
/usr/share/fonts/local directory, running "sudo fc-cache
/usr/share/fonts/local", then restarting Firefox and selecting Kochi
Gothic and Kochi Mincho for my Japanese Serif and Sans Serif fonts.

The fonts are ugly as sin, but that is something I can live with until
I am able to coax Gentoo into a chroot jail on this machine (and
thanks to a bit of insight from Mauro, that should be Real Soon Now).

Thanks to Stephen and Birkir for pointing out the obvious, and doing
it without calling me a dumbass, a moniker that I so richly deserve.

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://sourceforge.jp/projects/efont/