Re: [tlug] Re: About Japanese input systems

Conor McTernan asked...

> Does anybody have any experience with ATOK? I've been running
> SCIM-ANTHY in my office and the Japanese users are not satisfied with
> the quality of the kanji predection.
>
> I noticed in the archive that somebody recommended SCIM-PRIME, but
> I've been unable to successfully install it on system (we're running
> Centos 4).
>
> I'd be more than willing to shell out some cash for ATOK, provided
> it's comparable to the MS IME or better than Anthy.

No takers, apparently. I would like to try out ATOK, but when I asked Just
Systems if it would work on openSUSE 10.2, their reply simply repeated what
is on their Web site, which is for "SUSE 10.0". It seems they do not offer a
trial version but insist on your money up front without being able to
guarantee that you will be able to use it.

With SCIM+Anthy, by the way, you can enable prediction in the SCIM Input
Method Setup dialog under the right-most tab (put a check by "Show predicted
candidates while inputting letters" or 文字入力中に予測候補を表示する). Since there is no
prediction dictionary as in PRIME, it won't do much until you've used it for
a while to accumulate data.
--
Wataru Tenga, Tokyo