Re: [tlug] network losing connection

On 2/28/07, Matt Gross <mgrossjp@??> wrote:

I find this to be a very strange problem.  If I do a "ifdown eth1 &&
ifup eth1" the connection comes back up for anywhere from 15 seconds to
a few minutes.  But the length of time is inconsistent.

That is an excessive amount of time.

I performed a tcpdump -XXvv and noticed a few things.  There were a lot
of entries similar to the following with the "bad udp cksum":
<snip>
Is this normal?

In this case, yes. I recommend running tcpdump on another machine to monitor traffic.

This problem is so painful, I am debating doing a full re-install in
hopes of fixing everything.  Would you discourage/recommend that I do
this?

I don't recommend a re-install, but do what you feel is right.

I would examine your ethernet cable again. Test your cable and/or swap
out cables. Consider using Cat-6 cables vice using Cat-5e, but I am
digressing here.

--Uva