Re: [tlug] network losing connection

On 2/27/07, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@??> wrote:

What Sigurd said about checking the "error" number on your ifconfig output is a good start. Bear in mind that this could also have a simple answer like a bad cable...

Good point.

Besides checking the logs, running ipconfig, and checking the cable, do:
Check connection to route (i.e ping the router)
Check your routing table for errors (i.e. netstat -nr)
Check your arp table for errors (i.e. arp -a)

If no problems above, then we need a better understanding of your
machine. Here's a shotgun approach:
Which SELinux setting are you using?
Have you modified your SELinux configuration otherwise?
Did you change anything recently? ;-) (i.e. changed a router setting,
proxy setting, ect.)
What applications are running on the server? (i.e. apache, bind,
sendmail, squid, JBoss, ect.)
Which kernel version are you running?
What is the network card(s)/chipset(s) you are using?
Are you using wireless networking device in conjuction with a network
interface card?

Some of the questions above came from common fedora 6 issues that I've
read. To answer your earlier questions, yes but I'd rather begin with
the suggestions above before going there.

Regards,
Uva