[tlug] Re: Building a new box

burlingk@?? wrote:

> What advantages will an AM2 processor have over a Socket 939 processor?

The AM2 processors have the pacifica extension (special hardware
support for virtualization software like vmware or Xen), the 939s
don't.
Also, then AM2s use DDR2 while the 939s use DDR RAM.

> I know that a decent amount of ram will be a good thing, as well
> as a large hard drive.  How well does Linux suport SATA drives, or
> is SATA vs ATA even an issue with Linux?

SATA works pretty well, but you can still issues now and then.
Especially the NVidia chipset seems to have problems (and even more
specific, I wouldn't recommend using Maxtor drives with an NVidia
based board).

On my NVidia board I have the disk hooked up to the additional
JMicron controller, which has a really crappy BIOS (grub needed some
persuasion in form of a patch to the assembler parts), but at least
it speaks AHCI (Intel SATA interface standard), which supports
'native command queueing', allowing multiple outstanding commands
and thus improving performance a little bit (more or less recently the
nvidia driver also gained that feature, but AFAICS they still have to
shake out some bugs).

HTH,

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de