Re: [tlug] daemon daze

mike miller B-\) writes:

 >    Every UNIX/Linux system I have worked with supports the command
 > "ifconfig" to bring up/take down network interfaces.

Right.  But if you use ifconfig, you will very likely also need to use
route.  Both of these commands generally require root privilege at
least for setting parameters, and they will normally be in /sbin which
may not be on $PATH (especially if you use sudo as an ordinary user).

Also, modern drivers are pretty good, but it used to be that they
could get wedged.  In that case a rmmod/modprobe cycle should do the
trick (and will often trigger some automatic configuration, to boot).

BTW, Godwin's right, you really ought to do something about that
mailer; I had a smaller than usual window and didn't realize that you
had added to your post until I read Godwin's.  I thought you'd just
double-sent (keyboard bounce or cat-dancing on the keyboard).

If you're on a keitai or something that doesn't support the
conventional quoting, ".ini-style" is pretty effective:

[Godwin]
bofh musings

[Steve]
what he said