Re: [tlug] daemon daze

"Micheal E. Cooper" <mcooper@??> wrote:
Chris BALUTA wrote:
> Occasionally when booting my laptop (which is running Fedora,
> w/kernel version 2.4) I forget to plug into to my ethernet
> connection. This results in a bootup message of:
>
> "Bringing up interface eth0: ...... [ FAILED ]"
>
> Not being terribly linux saavy, I've always just (1)shut down,
> (2) plugged in, and (3) rebooted.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that there is a daemon somewhere
> that I can reboot/restart, so that I can skip step (1) here,
> plug in, then change step (3) to "restart daemon"??
>
> -Chris

It's not a daemon. The cable might not be plugged in, or the network
interface card might not be correctly configured. Either way, it cannot
use your ethernet card. If the plug is out, you can plug it in after
booting and then do:
ifup eth0

I think.... Please forgive me for not being more helpful.

   In regards to a standard Red Hat system (which of course includes Fedora) ifup <interface> (such as "ifup eth0" as Micheal points out) should work fine. The ifup script (as well as ifdown) are always present as they are part of the initscripts RPM.  These scripts use several files to define the actual interface configuration.  The default parameters used by the ifup script are in /etc/sysconfig/network and the interface specific parameters are in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface> (obviously can have multiple interfaces and/or different types). Of course GUI tools can always be used for configuration but knowing the text files can be important. Once you are familiar with them, changing the system hostname, IP (if using a static one), adding routes, etc. becomes trivial.

   Every UNIX/Linux system I have worked with supports the command  "ifconfig" to bring up/take down network interfaces.  ifconfig can also be used to display the current configuration. Of course ifconfg syntax can be distribution specific - as an example some OSes require ifconfig <interface> to display information ("ifconfig -a" to specify all interfaces) . Redirecting the output of ifconfig to a file documents the working configuration since there can be other parameters which can be passed to the interface.

Mike